Friday, March 11, 2011

Mya's 2nd Adoption...

In early February, Mya started acting different. She was responding differently to discipline, acting sweeter to her brother, locking herself in the bathroom for twenty minutes so she could "clean" it to surprise me (boy was I surprised to find baby powder EVERYWHERE because she thought it made it smell pretty!)

One day while we were driving, she had a conversation with Vermon that went something like this...

Mya:  "Daddy, guess what? I prayed today."
Vermon: "Really? About what?"
Mya: "Oh, I don't know...just talking to Jesus"

The next morning I poured my cup of coffee and headed to the couch to read my Bible. Mya excitedly asked if she could join me.  I filled a coffee cup with juice for her, got her audio bible set up, and let her settle into her "cozy spot" in our living room. 

Normally Mya likes to listen to the creation story, over and over and over...

But this time, Mya asked if I could put the crucifixion story on.  When she was done listening, she ran over and sat on my lap and had the most precious conversation with me...

Mya: "Mommy...Jesus is in my heart, I think."

Me: "Really? Did you pray and ask him?"

Mya: "Yes, I have asked him every single morning this week, but I can't tell if he is really in there...is he Mommy?"
I then explained in 6-year old words how one gets to have a relationship with God…

Mya: "Mommy, so how many times do I have to ask Jesus to be the king of my life?"

Me: "Mya, close your eyes and picture our adoption day." (she closed her eyes really tight and large smile spread across her face) "Remember how many of our friends and family were in the room? Remember how the judge asked Daddy and I all these questions? At the end of the time in the courtroom, the judge said you were now Mya Hope Pierre and Marcel Vermon Pierre!”

Me: “Okay Mya, open your eyes. Now, do Daddy and I have to go and adopt you every single day?”

Mya: “NO! That would be so silly!! You are my mommy and daddy forever!”

Me: “And it is the same with God. The way God adopts us is through Jesus taking the punishment we should have gotten for our sins. When we decide to believe in Jesus and let him be the king of our life then God adopts us and we become his daughters!”

Mya: “RRREEEAAALLLLYYYY!!! I’m ready to listen to God and follow his way now…can you pray with me?”

I then led Mya through a simple, but personal prayer. I didn’t give her something to copy, but allowed her to speak her own words to her Creator. When she was done praying she opened her eyes and gave me a big hug and said,

“Mommy, now I have been adopted twice!”

4 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful and sweet! You made me tear up. Your daughter is a wonderful blessing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh, that is the sweetest thing EVER. thank you so much for sharing. *mom of a 4-yr-old, 2-yr-old and 10-mo-old*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vermon and Dennae

    How beautiful!
    Blessings in Jesus,
    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very encourged, to see God at work in the child life. It spurs me on to serve amongst the the youngins.

    ReplyDelete